Good oral health is essential for good overall health, and teeth cleaning is the key. You may have a routine at home of flossing, brushing and mouthwash that you believe keeps your teeth healthy, but there are several benefits of professional cleaning that cannot be achieved with home care. Research has discovered several serious diseases that have been linked to insufficient oral hygiene such as cardiovascular disease, bone loss, certain cancers, strokes and other problems. You may be able to avoid these issues in Virginia Beach if you have one or two regular professional teeth cleaning appointments every year.
Here are a few of the things a professional cleaning can achieve:
• The removal of most of the stains that discolor your teeth. You may have whiter, brighter teeth
• The proper care of your gums. When gums start to deteriorate, it can result in bone loss and early tooth loss
• The detection of oral cancer in time to cure it. Oral cancer can be fatal, but with professional checkups, it can be detected early through screening for oral cancer and cured
• The prevention of cardiovascular disease through healthy gums. There is a strong link between gum disease and strokes and heart attacks
• The detection of cracked or broken teeth and old fillings
• The prevention of serious dental problems that may develop and be painful and costly to fix
• The prevention of persistent bad breath
• A beautiful smile. When you can smile without embarrassment of the condition of your teeth, you may have more self-confidence
When you regularly visit our dentist in Virginia Beach, he will be able to compare the state of your oral health from year to year and see if there are issues beginning to develop. The dentist can either fix the problem or recommend a specialist while it is still in the early stages.
During the normal course of a day, plaque builds up on the surface and in between your teeth. You may be able to remove most of it with your daily oral hygiene routine, but you won’t be able to reach it all. The small amount of plaque that remains will turn to tartar, which is a very hard substance and can only be removed by a dentist.
The two main reasons professional teeth cleaning is important are a bright smile and good overall health. Get in touch with us at Implant Dentistry of Virginia in Virginia Beach to schedule your cleaning. Contact us today to book an appointment!