General dentistry includes the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of a wide range of diseases and disorders that affect the teeth, jaw and gums. General dentists provide many services connected with the general maintenance of good dental health and oral hygiene.
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), it is best to visit a dentist at least twice a year to make sure your teeth are functioning properly. With regular visits at our office, our dentist can prevent many problems from developing into serious issues.
In general dentistry, our dentist may use X-rays, molds and other methods to help diagnose dental problems. A few of the treatments we offer are:
• Fillings for cavities.
• Crowns, also called caps, which can be fitted over damaged teeth with or without a root canal.
• Root canal treatment, which is a procedure in which our specialist removes the infected pulp in the canals of the tooth root and fills it with a special substance. This is usually done to save the tooth and requires a crown.
• Bridges, which are artificial teeth used to fill a gap between teeth. They are anchored to the teeth on either side of the gap. They can be permanent or removable and have a natural-looking appearance.
• Dentures, or false teeth. These may be required for people who have lost their teeth because of an accident or disease. Dentures are removable and new technology has made them fit better and look more natural.
• Teeth cleaning, which is essential every year for good oral health. Brushing and flossing may help to remove tartar, but plaque will gradually form, and this can only be removed by a skilled professional. If it is not removed, it can grow and cause serious gum and tooth problems.
• Maxillofacial treatments, or procedures that treat the mouth, jaw and face. The treatments may include dental implants and therapy for TMJ disorder, a joint syndrome in the jaw.
• Bonding, which is a procedure used to adhere veneers to a tooth. It may also be used to treat damaged or stained teeth.
These are some of the most common procedures offered in general dentistry. However, there are other procedures available as well.
Our specialists at Implant Dentistry of Virginia will work with you to develop a customized dental hygiene program that may include cleaning, regular examinations, scaling, X-rays and other equipment to find, prevent and treat dental problems as early as possible. It is important for young children to visit our dentist after their milk teeth erupt, so our specialist can see how the baby and adult teeth are developing. It is recommended that parents and children use the same dentist because hereditary problems can be caught early when the dentist knows the parent’s dental history.
At our office in Virginia Beach, we use several restorative procedures in our treatment plans to help prevent disease and decay in the teeth, gums, tongue and mouth. We can repair the effects of tooth decay, hereditary defects and trauma from an automobile accident or sports injury. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to learn more about how our general dentistry services can benefit you and your family.