Sedation Dentistry and Nitrous Oxide.
We understand that your comfort and control is the most important part of your visit. But if you would rather not know what is going on or you would like to be more relaxed then SEDATION dentistry is for you.
Almost all patients have some degree of nervousness or anxiety when seeing a dentist. Understandably, some people even have a valid and outright “fear” of the dentist. Dental fear, anxiety and phobia should not prevent you from receiving dental care. We can prescribe sedation dentistry to provide you a relaxing and anxiety-free experience.
Oral sedation is a process used to establish a relaxed, easy and calm state of mind through the use of sedative drugs taken in oral tablet form. The technique is simple, easy and safe. It does not require any venous access. And it can be used in combination with nitrous oxide (a.k.a. “laughing gas”) to enhance the effects. Best of all, most patients some degree of amnesia about the visit. Usually the visit length is reduced in their memory from hours to just minutes.
Intravenous (IV) Sedation is when a patient is completely asleep during the procedure and has no memory of the event. We employ a licensed Anesthesiologist (M.D.) for this deeper sedation. The anesthesiologist can focus on your sedation safety while Dr. Hogan can focus on your quality dentistry.
Sedation dentistry has become very popular because it offers several benefits for both the patient and the dentist. There are many benefits of sedation including:
- Improved Patient Relaxation
- Increased Patient Comfort
- More Patient Cooperation and Less Patient Movement
- Better Patient Control of gag reflex
- Little or no memory of treatment
- Patients often feel like their dental procedure lasts only a few minutes when in fact it might have taken hours to perform.
- Time saving – Fewer appointments needed
- With patients more relaxed and comfortable, much more work can be completed in a single visit.